Student Affairs - Fostering Student Learning and Success Logo

Primary tabs

Possible Academic Interventions due to Medical Needs

Medical Excuses

Campus Health does not issue individual medical excuses for class absence. Should an instructor need to know if a student was seen on an outpatient basis, this fact can be verified by contacting Medical Records (Health Information Management).

Students can view their Encounter List or Visit Summary on the Healthy Heels portal for documentation of a visit if the student wishes to share further details. These are located on the left hand side of the screen after logging into the portal. Students may also reach out to the Dean of Students for assistance with class absence notifications.

This policy follows best practices in the field of college health. For more details about our philosophy behind this policy, please read Ethical Issues of the Medical Excuse Policy in the American College Health Association newsletter. 

There is a process for absence due to illness during final exam periods.

For a Withdrawal, Underload, Course Drop, or Retroactive Appeal based on medical needs:

If you need to withdraw, take fewer credits than required (underload), drop a course after the first drop deadline has passed, or retroactively appeal to drop one class or all classes from a prior semester due to serious medical or psychological factors, it is strongly recommended that you meet with an academic advisor in your department, college or program to discuss the academic situation, explore your academic options and learn how to move forward with your needs.

  1. If you use a provider outside of Campus Health, have the appropriate documentation about the medical condition affecting your academic progress faxed to Campus Health at 919-966-6575.  This documentation should contain information about your diagnosis, prognosis and length of illness.
  2. Formally request a medical withdrawal/underload/course drop by submitting an email outlining the reason for your request i.e. how the medical condition impacted your coursework by emailing Joyce Roberts ( Address your request to “Whom it May Concern” and include your PID.  You must consult Academic Advising and please indicate in your request that you have done so. If you are requesting an underload, indicate the number of credit hours you would be taking.

NOTE: Campus Health medical withdrawals will be dated when the Campus Health process is complete, including the receipt of required documentation.  The withdrawal might be dated earlier in rare and extenuating circumstances.  Examples of this would include prolonged hospitalization or incapacitation.

Campus Health Academic Intervention contact: 

Joyce Roberts (

Fax (919) 966-6575 Phone (919) 966-6603   

Campus Health CB #7470

James A. Taylor Bldg. University of North Carolina

Chapel Hill, NC 27599

See Counseling and Psychological Services for information on academic withdrawals, underloads, or final exam excuses due to psychological needs.