Using Insurance at Campus Health

Campus Health is an accredited health care organization and its services are generally covered by insurance. 

We welcome any eligible students, post-docs, or partners/spouses to use our services regardless of the insurance carrier.

It is your responsibility to provide Campus Health with your most current health insurance card. Charges not covered by the health fee paid in tuition and fees will be filed with your primary insurance company. Campus Health cannot file charges to secondary insurance or plans from health insurance companies based outside of the United States. 

To expedite your appointment check-in process, submit your insurance card (front and back) in advance to our health records department (PDF attachment preferred). Please include your PID number as well as the primary card holder's name, date of birth, physical mailing address, phone number, and relationship to you. Call 919-966-6588 with any questions.

Submit Your Insurance Card

Campus Health is not part of UNC Hospitals or UNC Health Care Systems.

For questions regarding insurance, please contact [email protected].

Insurance Details

In-Network Insurance Plans

We recognize that out-of-pocket costs vary, and thus are working to be an in-network or preferred provider with a variety of companies. 

Campus Health is currently in network with the following plans:

  • All UNC - Sponsored Insurance Plans
  • Aetna (with exception of Elect Choice EPO, Duke Basic, and Duke Select)
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield including NC State Health Plan, Out of State, Federal (with exception of Blue Local, Blue Care, Blue Value and Blue Home with UNC Health Alliance) 
  • Cigna (with exception of Cigna Connect plan to Individual and Family - IFP, and Cigna SureFit)
  • MedCost
  • United Healthcare
  • Tricare Non-Network Participating Provider. Patients covered by Tricare Standard and Tricare Reserve Select can be seen by any provider without incurring penalties.  Patients covered by Tricare Prime are encouraged to see their primary care provider for services not covered by the health fee.
  • First Health Network (if your insurance card has the First Health logo printed on it, Campus Health is in network)
  • Some NC Medicaid plans (see Medicaid section below for details)

Please remember that the Campus Health Pharmacy and Student Stores Pharmacy are in network with virtually all US health insurance plans including all of those listed above.

Last updated September 2021

Out of Network Insurance Details

Campus Health cannot provide services to patients on Medicare plans.

For all other insurance plans not listed above, Campus Health will electronically file claims as an out-of-network provider. Any charges not covered by Health Insurance will be the patient's responsibility.

For international insurance plans, Campus Health can provide students with the necessary documentation to file their own claims.

You should view your benefits and exclusions in advance of treatment. It is your responsibility to follow up with your insurance company for any unpaid claims.


Some HMOs do not offer out-of-area coverage for medical care. To avoid charges that are not reimbursable, please check with your HMO before coming to school to ascertain if you will be able to get an exemption if you are attending college in a different area.  If this exemption is not granted, there may be charges for diagnostic testing and specialty care that may not be reimbursable by your insurance company.

Preferred Providers

Some insurance plans limit coverage to only preferred providers (providers with in-network status). Charges for services at Campus Health will be processed as out-of-network unless the plan is on this list of in-network providers. If Campus Health is out-of-network with your insurance, you will be responsible for all charges incurred. To avoid charges that are not reimbursable, please check with your insurance company before using Campus Health.


Effective 7/1/2021, North Carolina Medicaid (now called Medicaid Direct) transitioned to a managed care model.  

Effective April 1, 2023, all NC Health Choice beneficiaries with active eligibility will be moved to Medicaid.

North Carolina has expanded Medicaid coverage to more people. Learn more about who qualifies and how to apply.

Campus Health is in-network with Medicaid Direct, Healthy Blue and United Healthcare Community Plan. 

We are out of network with AmeriHealth Caritas, Carolina Complete Health and WellCare. 

Any Medicaid patient can use Campus Health for Office Visits and any other service covered by the Campus Health Fee.  Similarly, Medicaid patients can have blood work done at our lab as those charges will be billed by LabCorp. 

If you have any questions related to Medicaid and Campus Health, please call Patient Accounts at 919-966-6588 or send an email to [email protected].

Pharmacy Drug Benefits

Many insurance plans offer a prescription card benefit program. Campus Health Pharmacy participates in most of these plans.  A complete Campus Health Pharmacy and Student Stores Pharmacy formulary is available on the Pharmacy Services webpage.


By default, Campus Health bills your insurance company for services you receive. Typically, insurance companies send an explanation of benefits to the insurance policy holder (the main person on your insurance plan) when there are charges.   The Explanation of Benefits includes a date of service, who provided your care, a description that explains what service you had like a medical visit, lab test, or screening, the cost of your care, how much the insurance company will pay, and the amount, if any, that you owe.

  • Family Insurance Plans: If you are covered by your family member’s insurance plan, the insurance company will send the policy holder - your family member - an explanation of benefits.  
  • Student Insurance Plans: If you have the System Wide Student Health Insurance Plan or Student Blue, you, as the policy holder, will receive the explanation of benefits. 

Your Decision Matters 

You can decide at each appointment whether to use your insurance for that visit. If you would rather not use your insurance, let your provider know before the visit ends. This puts you in control, but remember, it means you will be covering any charges.

Call the Campus Health Billing Office at (919) 966-6588 to pay for your services. If you want to pay for lab charges, you will have to wait to pay until the lab test results are received, which is typically within two business days.

If a service payment is not received, the charges will post to your University student account. To protect your privacy, Campus Health will not post medical details on your student account. An itemized statement can be provided upon request.

Dental Insurance

The UNC System does not currently endorse a dental insurance plan.

You can research dental insurance options on your own. Dental insurance generally covers two cleanings per year and then a percentage of the cost of fillings, crowns, x-rays, extractions, and other dental procedures based on the policy benefits.

Most dental insurance policies have a waiting period before you can receive any extensive care such as an extraction or crown. For example: If you need your wisdom teeth pulled, you may have to wait six (6) months after purchasing your dental plan before having the procedure done. This depends on the nature of your coverage, so read through the policy benefits carefully.

Once you have insurance and before you visit the dentist, ask your dentist the following questions: 

  • Do you file dental insurance claims? If so, how quickly do you file them? 
  • Are you in-network with my insurance? 
  • Can you help me understand my financial responsibility for my dental needs? Be clear on your financial responsibility before you have a procedure done. You can ask the dentist to provide you with a quote based on your insurance benefits.

Some options to consider:

  • Dental care is offered in the Campus Health building by Campus-Smiles, and Campus-Smiles has partnered with a low-cost dental insurance plan. Campus-Smiles accepts all major PPO dental insurance plans. 
  • The General Alumni Association partners with a dental insurance plan that's being offered to current Carolina students as well as GAA members.

Commonly Used Insurance Terms

Affordable Care Act - The Affordable Care Act is the comprehensive health care reform law enacted in March 2010. The law was enacted in two parts: The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act was signed into law on March 23, 2010, and was amended by the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act on March 30, 2010. The name “Affordable Care Act” is used to refer to the final, amended version of the law.

Certificate of Creditable Coverage - There may be circumstances where your insurance carrier will require proof that you were covered in the previous 12 months by another insurance company in order to waive a pre-existing condition.  The certificate will show the effective and termination dates of your previous insurance policy. 

Certificate of Verification - A certificate from an insurance carrier defining the policy coverage dates for a plan you have not yet terminated or canceled. This certificate is used to show that you remain covered under a specific plan and would not show a termination date.

Co-insurance - Co-insurance means the insured person (you) and the insurance carrier share costs according to a specified ratio (such as 80%:20% or 70%:30%) of the hospital or medical expenses resulting from a sickness or injury.

Co-Payments (co-pay) - Payments made by the insured person (you) toward the cost of a particular benefit. For example, the current hard waiver student insurance plan effective August 1, 2022, requires a $35 co-pay for office visits and $70 co-pay for specialist visits for services received outside Campus Health (questions regarding specific charges should be addressed to BCBS). There is a $75 co-pay for Urgent Care appointments. An emergency room visit has a separate $500 co-pay. This encourages students to make an informed decision on Emergency Room visits.

Covered Benefit - A covered benefit is a medical service or procedure, prescription, immunization, x-ray, etc. that your insurance carrier will consider for payment. Depending on your specific insurance policy, your insurance carrier may not pay a covered benefit until you have satisfied (paid) your deductible, co-pay, or co-insurance and the payment of a covered benefit may apply differently at an in-network and out-of-network provider.

Covered Illness/Sickness - A covered illness/sickness is any disease, infection, or condition other than an injury that is first treated or diagnosed by a doctor on or after the effective date of coverage under the insurance plan unless pre-existing condition waivers apply.

Covered Injury - A covered injury is an accidental bodily injury that causes loss - directly and independently of all other causes - and is sustained on or after the effective date of coverage under the plan, unless pre-existing condition waivers apply.

Deductible - A deductible is the amount of out-of-pocket expenses the insured person (you) must pay for health services before benefits become payable by the insurance carrier.

EOB or EOP – This is an Explanation of Benefits or Explanation of Payment. Your insurance carrier provides this information for each claim submitted. It explains how the payment was made for each claim. Sometimes the EOB or EOP will request additional information to continue processing a claim. EOB’s should be reviewed carefully.

Formulary - A list of prescription drugs, both generic and brand name, that are preferred by your insurance company.

Generic Drug - A drug that is the same as a brand-name drug in dosage, safety, strength, how it is taken, quality, performance, and intended use.  Before approving a generic drug product, the FDA (Federal Drug Administration) requires many rigorous tests and procedures to assure that the generic drug can be substituted for the brand name drug.

Grandfathered Health Plan - A health plan that was created, or an individual health insurance policy that was purchased on or before March 23, 2010, and the written policy has not changed. Grandfathered plans are exempted from many changes required under the Affordable Care Act.

Hard Waiver - Health insurance is required as a condition of enrollment.  Students may waive the UNC System Student Health Insurance Plan but must provide proof of existing creditable insurance coverage.

Insurance Payment - Your insurance policy must be in effect at the time of services for your insurance carrier to consider any services for payment. Treatment before your effective date or after your termination date will not be paid.

In-Network Provider - An in-network provider has contracted with your insurance carrier to take an adjustment (reduce the amount you have to pay the provider). The adjustment will vary depending on your insurance policy.

Non-Formulary - Drugs that are not on the insurance companies' list of preferred drugs.  This would be an extra cost to the patient.  Usually, there is an alternative option of the drug that can be used or prescribed by your physician.

Out-of-Network Provider - An out-of-network provider is not contracted with your insurance carrier and is not required to give an adjustment.

Pre-Existing Condition - A pre-existing condition is an injury, illness, or pregnancy for which medical care, treatment, diagnosis, or medical advice was received or recommended or medication was prescribed prior to the effective date of the insured person’s coverage under the insurance plan. The current student insurance plan limits pre-existing conditions to within six months prior to the plan effective date. 

Primary Care Physician (PCP) - A physician, nurse practitioner, clinical nurse specialist, or physician assistant, who provides, coordinates, or helps you access a range of health care services.

Qualifying Life Event - If you have a life event similar to the ones listed, you may be able to enroll in insurance outside of the normal open enrollment period. You have a 30-day deadline to enroll after the Qualifying Life Event.

  • get married
  • have a baby, adopt a child or place a child for adoption
  • gain citizenship
  • gain/lose a dependent
  • move out of current insurance coverage area
  • aged off parent's insurance
  • get divorced
  • graduate and lose school insurance
  • Cobra expires
  • loss of work insurance

Referral -  A referral happens when students require services that cannot be provided at Campus Health. The Campus Health Referral Coordinator arranges the referral with service providers in the student's insurance network when possible.

Specialist - A physician who focuses on a specific area of medicine.

For additional definitions visit BCBS at:

Insurance Details by Population

International Insurance

Campus Health is unable to file claims with an international insurance company, but we can provide the necessary paperwork for the student to file their claims.

To waive, an insurance policy must be effective (active) on or before September 1 for the fall semester and on or before February 1 for the spring semester.

Students who want to participate in the Student Blue Insurance Plan should enroll each semester before August 1 or January 1 to activate the insurance. You activate the insurance each semester before you need an immunization, prescription or have other medical needs.  The Student Health Insurance charge will be on your University account.

Incoming International students and scholars also have the option of purchasing GeoBlue International Health Insurance. Follow the enrollment instructions to get coverage under this plan.

There are requirements by the UNC system on international students and their health insurance. 

RA/TA Health Insurance

Eligible students are enrolled by their individual academic departments in the RA/TA Graduate Student Blue Health Insurance Plan (GSHIP). Most Campus Health charges not covered by the Campus Health Fee are covered by the RA/TA Health Insurance Plan and claims are billed directly to BCBS by Campus Health.


For specific information about the RA/TA Student Blue Health Insurance Plan benefits go to the BCBS website for UNC-Chapel Hill RA/TA.

Prescription benefit

For information on prescription drug coverage see Campus Health Pharmacy Formulary. 

Payment for services

Charges incurred at Campus Health not covered by the RA/TA Insurance Plan are the responsibility of the student and are transferred to the student’s account at the Office of Student Accounts and University Receivables in the Student and Academic Services Building (SASB) North. See Health Fee and Charges: Payment for Services for more information.


To enroll a Spouse, Domestic Partner or Dependent you will need:

  • Social Security Number
  • Prior insurance information (insurer, policy number and dates of coverage
  • An application – download the electronic application off the website


Verify with your department the termination date of your insurance policy. Most insurance companies will require that you contact them within 30 days of the termination of your RA/TA policy. It could take up to 45 days to apply for and begin a new insurance policy.

If your RA/TA health insurance is terminated on May 31, this is considered a qualifying event. You can contact a navigator at 800-318-2596 or BCBS (888-351-8283) directly to purchase the Student Blue insurance for the remainder of the spring/summer semester (June and July)

PostDoc Health Insurance

Eligible individuals are enrolled by their individual academic departments in the PostDoc Student Blue Health Insurance Plan. Most Campus Health charges not covered by the Campus Health Fee are covered by the PostDoc Student Blue Health Insurance Plan and claims are billed directly to BCBS by Campus Health.


For specific information about the PostDoc Student Blue Health Insurance Plan benefits go to the BCBS Website for PostDocs,

Prescription benefit

For information on prescription drug coverage see Campus Health Pharmacy Formulary.

Payment for services

Charges incurred at Campus Health not covered by the PostDoc Student Blue Plan are the responsibility of the PostDoc and an invoice is mailed to the PostDoc's address on record.


To enroll a Spouse, Domestic Partner or Dependent you will need:

  • Social Security Number
  • Prior insurance information (insurer, policy number and dates of coverage
  • An application – download the electronic application off the website


Verify with your department the termination date of your insurance policy. Most insurance companies will require that you contact them within 30 days of the termination of your RA/TA policy. It could take up to 45 days to apply for and begin a new insurance policy.

Once your PostDoc insurance plan is terminated, a COBRA election form will be mailed to you, typically allowing the continuation of coverage for 18 months.  Election of COBRA must be made within 60 days of the date of notification.  Coverage is retroactive back to the termination date of the PostDoc insurance plan. Once your PostDoc insurance terminates you may enroll in an insurance plan through the healthcare exchange on the basis of a qualifying event. You may be eligible for subsidies based on income.  Individuals interested in an appointment with a Navigator can call 1-800-318-2596.

Study Abroad Student Insurance

Students going abroad for a semester or a school year, either through an exchange or study abroad program, are automatically enrolled in GeoBlue Student Travel Health Insurance. GeoBlue is mandatory and you cannot opt out of this travel insurance. Please contact your program coordinator at the UNC Study Abroad office for GeoBlue insurance details.

Outbound Exchange

If you have your own health insurance plan, GeoBlue will be supplementary travel insurance while you are out of the United States.

Exchange students are paying University fees with their travel exchange program. This means that the health insurance premium is attached to your tuition unless you waive out. Therefore, you must take an action to either waive or enroll in the Student Blue Health Insurance.

  • If you do not want Student Blue while you are abroad, you can waive it using the GeoBlue plan, or your own domestic policy.
  • You can enroll in Student Blue and be covered for the entire semester.
  • You cannot enroll in Student Blue then drop the coverage during your travel dates, and sign back up when you return.

Study Abroad

If you have your own health insurance plan, GeoBlue will be a supplementary travel insurance while you are out of the United States.

Study Abroad students are not assessed university fees with their program and are therefore not required to waive the student mandatory plan.  However, you are eligible to purchase the Student Health Insurance Plan for the entire semester directly with Blue Cross Blue Shield.  Student Blue should be purchased before the policy effective dates (fall – August 1; spring – January 1) to be sure of coverage for the entire semester. To enroll contact BCBS at [email protected] or call 888-351-8283. 

  • You cannot enroll in Student Blue then drop the coverage during your travel dates, and sign back up when you return.

Returning to the United States

When you return from your Study Abroad or Exchange program and your GeoBlue travel insurance terminates, this is considered a qualifying life event, which allows you to purchase the Student Health Insurance for the remainder of the current semester. BCBS will provide the pro-rated insurance premium. You will have 30 days to enroll in the UNC System Student Health Insurance Plan after your travel insurance terminates. Contact BCBS directly to set up the qualifying event enrollment at [email protected] or call 888-351-8283.

Traveling with Student Blue

BCBS Global Core website students can find a provider/facility near them, review benefits, and submit claims. 

The medical evacuation / repatriation component of Student Blue is managed by GeoBlue.  Student Blue has emergency travel services if you are traveling outside of the United States. Student Blue works closely with GeoBlue to provide Medical Evacuation and Repatriation (MERE) in the event the student or PostDoc needs to return to the United States. The MERE member guide provides an overview of what the plan covers, general exclusions, and instructions to contact GeoBlue’s Global Health and Safety Team. 

Insurance Options When No longer In School

Enrolling in health insurance for the first time can be very confusing. Terminology and fine print can make the task even more difficult when planning your insurance future. Young adults who go without health insurance may be one accident or illness away from a lifetime of medical bills and debt.  Health reform now requires most individuals to obtain health insurance or pay a tax penalty.

Laws make it possible for young adults to remain on their parent's health care plan until their 26th birthday if the policy covers dependent children. This is true regardless of whether you are unemployed, looking for a job, married, in school, living at home, or even if you are employed, and your employer does not offer insurance coverage.

It is in the student's best interest to have continuous health insurance coverage. A significant break in coverage could impact you significantly if you become ill, need a prescription, sustain an injury, or need to see a physician. Please note that it could take up to 45 days or more to apply for and enact comparable individual coverage. 

To avoid a lapse in coverage you may continue under a COBRA plan or consider purchasing an individual plan.  Check with your current insurance carrier well before your insurance terminates for information on deadlines and continuation plans.

For more information visit:

Health Insurance Options for Young Adults

Healthy Young America Health Care

NCQA Health Insurance Plan Ratings

Dependent Coverage

For GSHIP and the PostDoc Health Insurance Plan, your employer will enroll you in the plan. If you wish to enroll your spouse and dependents in this plan as well, review your UNC Postdoc BCBSNC Packet instructions and pricing. The health insurance premium for your spouse/dependent will be deducted from your monthly paycheck.

Student Blue does not have dependent coverage.

Sharing and printing options: