Medical Withdrawal

Medical Withdrawal Process

  1. Consult with Academic Advising to see if a Medical Withdrawal is appropriate.
  2. Email Andrew Brennick at to formally request a Medical Withdrawal for the current semester.
    1. Request should include the following:
      1. Address your request to “Whom It May Concern”
      2. Acknowledge that you have met with Academic Advising
      3. How the medical condition has affected your coursework
  3. In addition to the email, please send appropriate documentation from your treating healthcare provider about the medical condition affecting your academic progress. The documentation should…
    1. Contain information about your diagnosis, prognosis, and length of illness
    2. Either be faxed to Campus Health at 919-966-6575 or emailed to Andrew Brennick.

*If you were seen by a Campus Health provider, you will not need to submit this documentation since we have access to your medical records at Campus Health.

  1. Once all paperwork has been received (both the email and documentation from provider), it will be submitted to our Medical Director.
  2. If approved by our Medical Director, this information will be sent to Academic Advising, Housing, Registrar, Dean of Students Office, and Financial Aid.
    1. A certified letter will be sent to the student’s most appropriate address in ConnectCarolina.

When will withdrawals be dated?

Campus Health medical withdrawals will be dated when the Campus Health process is complete, including the receipt of the required documentation. The withdrawal might be dated earlier in rare and extenuating circumstances. Examples of this would include prolonged hospitalization or incapacitation.

How long can I receive care at Campus Health and CAPS after withdrawal?

If your medical or psychological withdrawal is granted, you have 30 days of eligibility to be seen at Campus Health, including CAPS.

When I'm ready, how do I return to campus after withdrawal?

Clearance will be required for all Medical/Psychological Withdrawals from the University 6-10 weeks prior to the start of the semester that you wish to return. To be cleared, a provider must fill out the Clearance Form and return it to Campus Health or CAPS.