- Professional/Educational Background: MHA in Hospital and Healthcare Management, Duke University.
Ken Pittman has over 30 years of experience in hospital and healthcare leadership. As Executive Director he has senior level responsibility for UNC’s Joint Commission-accredited Campus Health and Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS). During his career, he has served as Chief Operating Officer of a 300-bed community hospital in eastern North Carolina, CEO/Turnaround Specialist for three operationally- and financially-challenged hospitals in the Southeast, and a healthcare management consultant. He is a Fellow of the American College of Healthcare Executives. Ken has served as President of the Southern College Health Association and he is an active member of the American College Health Association.
- Joined Campus Health: 2011
- Professional/Educational Background: B.A., Elon University; Masters, Duke.
Dean has worked in Student Affairs at Carolina for almost 20 years, and has worked in the field of health education/health promotion and primary prevention work for almost 30 years. He enjoys working with students, staff, faculty, alum, parents, and community partners to create an atmosphere that promotes healthy decision making as it relates to students’ choices regarding their health and safety. Dean is interested in the intersections of identity, culture, education, politics, and economics as they affect the health outcomes, disparities, and access to wellness for all students. He believes that breaking down barriers, developing coalitions, and advocating for equitable access is primary to ensuring every student has the necessary resources to be both healthy and whole, as well as personally and academically successful at Carolina. He enjoys doing this work through individual conversations with students; teaching; outreach to larger groups; collaborating with colleagues across campus and the community; broad based committee involvement; and research/policy development.University
- Hobbies/Sports: When not having a great time with his Wellness colleagues and students on campus, he enjoys outdoor activities, public service, traveling to new places, and time with family and friends.
- Pets: Labs, named Lily and Toby
Director of Nursing and Performance Improvement
- Professional/Educational Background: B.S. in Spanish and Nursing, East Carolina University; M.S. in Nursing, East Carolina University. Michelle is the Infection control committee co-chair and has been working in college health since 1998.
- What's one thing most people don't know about you?: She's interested in travel and the topic of infection control.
- Joined Campus Health: 2005
Thevy S. Chai, MD
She / her / hers
Director of Medical Services, Primary Care Physician
- Professional/Educational Background: Bachelors and Medical Degree, UNC
- Originally from/hometown: Born in Laos and raised in Raleigh, NC
- Joined Campus Health: January 2007
- Special Professional Interests: Student health, infection control, occupational health, service, and quality improvement
Mario Ciocca, MD
Director of Sports Medicine, Medical Doctor
- Professional/Educational Background: BS in Biochemical Engineering, Columbia University; MD, New Jersey Medical School.
Dr. Mario Ciocca has served as a team physician at the University of North Carolina since 1996 and was appointed Director of Sports Medicine in January 2010. He is currently the head primary care physician for football, baseball, and men's soccer teams. He is board certified in internal medicine and has a certificate of added qualification in sports medicine. He is an active member of the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine and the American College of Sports Medicine. Dr. Ciocca is also an Assistant Professor of Medicine and Orthopedics at UNC and is involved with the lecturing of students and residents at the undergraduate school as well as the medical and nursing school.
- Family: Dr. Ciocca and his wife Cindy have four children, Luke, Jack, Michael and Gabrielle.
- What's one thing most people don't know about you?: He has authored journal articles and book chapters on subjects including cardiac conditions, concussions, creatine, medications and supplements, psoriatic arthritis, pneumothorax, heterotopic ossification, and vascular conditions in athletes.
- Joined Campus Health: January 2010
Avery Cook, LCSW
they, them, their
- Professional/Educational Background: B.A., Davidson College; MSW with a concentration in mental health from UNC Chapel Hill
- Hobbies/Sports: They enjoy being outside, either hiking or biking, reading, and time with family and friends.
- What's one thing most people don't know about you?: Avery enjoys working with students on a variety of issues including crisis work, adjustment, anxiety, depression, substance abuse as well as issues related to LGB clients, gender identity, and gender expression. In working with clients, they take an eclectic approach, utilizing a variety of approaches based on what best meets the needs of the clients.
- Professional/Educational Background: B.S. in Public Administration, CUNY. 20+ years of Healthcare experience at The Brooklyn Hospital and the State of New York, in the department of Cardiology.
- Originally from/hometown: New York City
- Hobbies/Sports: Traveling, cooking, and youth ministry
- Joined Campus Health: 2009
- Professional/Educational Background: University of North Carolina at Greensboro. She has been employed with UNC Chapel Hill since 1992. She began her UNC career in the Department of Dermatology
- Hobbies/Sports: She enjoys spending time with her family and pet.
- Pets: She has a corgi named Jack.
- Joined Campus Health: 2001
Associate Director of Sports Medicine
- Professional/Educational Background: B.S. in Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University; Masters in Athletic Training, UNC. Scott Oliaro was named head athletic trainer and associate director of sports medicine in 2013. In addition to his role as the associate director, he also serves as the head athletic trainer for field hockey, men's and women's golf and softball teams.
- Originally from/hometown: Lansing, Michigan
- Family: He and his wife, Jeri, reside in Chapel Hill with their daughter, Mia Katherine, and son, Tyler Michael.
- What's one thing most people don't know about you?: In 1996, he worked the Olympic Games in Atlanta.
- Joined Campus Health: 2013
Director of Pharmacy and Professional Services
- Professional/Educational Background: B.S. in Pharmacy, UNC; PharmD, UNC
- Hobbies/Sports: In her free time, she enjoys running, performing with her church handbell choir, spending time with her family, and all things Disney.
- What's one thing most people don't know about you?: Amy has extended professional interests in asthma disease management, contraception, and medication safety.
she/her or they/them
Special Projects and Communication Manager for Health and Wellbeing
- Professional/Educational Background: B.A. in English, University of Wisconsin - Madison; M.A. in Student Development in Higher Education, University of Iowa.
Sara is the Special Projects and Communication Coordinator for Health and Wellbeing. In this role, she supports broad health and wellbeing initiatives for the campus including the JED Campus partnership, Mental Health Seminar series, and Heels Care Network. In addition, Sara coordinates Campus Health and CAPS marketing and communication initiatives including the Healthy Heels social media channels. Prior to this role, she served as a health educator at UNC, coordinating wellness paraprofessional staff including the sexual health educators, alcohol and other drug intervention specialists, health promotion specialists and nutrition education consultant.
- Joined Campus Health: 2007
Sharing and printing options: