You may have heard it before but we will say it again -- getting regular physical activity is a critical part of staying healthy. Moving your body every day helps stave off physical ailments and support your mental wellbeing.
If the activity is fun for you, then you are more likely to stay motivated. Try thinking outside the box; physical activity is more than just running or biking.
Activities you can do on campus or near UNC:
- Dance- check out various dance-related student orgs, local contra dancing, and more
- Bike- join a ride with the Tarwheels, borrow a ride from Tar Heel Bikes, or attend one of many cycling classes with Campus Rec
- Canoe, Stand Up Paddleboard, or Kayak- Campus Rec offers expeditions, or get yourself to Jordan Lake or Saxapahaw to rent a vessel or a guided trip
- Garden- if you need a garden, look into the Carolina Campus Community Garden or search for a garden in your neighborhood
- Play a sport - play an intramural, join a club sport, or play pickup
- Use your body as transportation - walk, bike or wheel yourself to and around campus
- Be active in the water - visit the UNC pools, the Hargraves Center's free pool, or another facility near you
- Take a group fitness class - zumba, yoga, tabata and more are no cost to you from Campus Rec
- Hike - check out Healthy Heel's top 22 spots to get outside
- Jump rope - get yourself a rope and jump over it!
- Martial arts - UNC has student orgs for tae kwon do, aikido, MMA and self-defense, and karate. Local studios also exist.
- Walk, jog or run - we recommend doing these with a friend or a group to socialize while you get fit.