You may have heard it before but we will say it again -- getting regular physical activity is a critical part of staying healthy. Moving your body every day helps stave off physical ailments and support your mental wellbeing.
If the activity is fun for you, then you are more likely to stay motivated. Try thinking outside the box; physical activity is more than just running or biking.
Activities you can do on campus or near UNC:
- Dance- check out various dance related student orgs, local contra dancing, and more
- Bike- join a ride with the Tarwheels, borrow a ride from Tar Heel Bikes, or attend one of many cycling classes with Campus Rec
- Canoe, Stand Up Paddleboard, or Kayak- Campus Rec offers expeditions, or get yourself to Jordan Lake or Saxapahaw to rent a vessel or a guided trip
- Garden- if you need a garden, look into the Carolina Campus Community Garden or search for a garden in your neighborhood
- Play a sport - play an intramural, join a club sport, or play pickup (Cobb Court, Woolen Gym for basketball, Hooker Fields for ultimate frisbee)
- Use your body as transportation - walk, bike or wheel yourself to and around campus
- Be active in the water - visit the UNC pools, the Town of Chapel Hill acquatics program, or another facility near you
- Take a group fitness class - Sweat it out with cardio, stretch it with yoga and pilates, or build strength - all at no cost from Campus Rec
- Hike - check out Healthy Heel's top 22 spots to get outside or enjoy the many offerings of Carolina Adventures and the Outdoor Education Center
- Jump rope - get yourself a rope and jump over it!
- Martial arts - UNC has student orgs for all sorts of martial arts. Local studios also exist.
- Walk, jog or run - we recommend doing these with a friend or a group to socialize while you get fit.