Navigating the choices in the dining halls can be a tricky task. Below we've included a few quick tips for balanced eating. If you would like more help planning a balanced diet with dining hall choices, check out the Carolina Dining Services nutrition page.
- Listen to your body. Pay attention to hunger and fullness cues, and use these cues to guide your food choices and honor your health.
- Head to the Carolina Dining Services website (http://www.dining.unc.edu/) to check out all the menus for the day. Pick the foods you plan to eat ahead of time to help you stick with a balanced eating plan. Try using the plate method!
- Drink water.
- Eat a side salad before your meal so you can cross your veggie requirements off the to-do list for the day.
- Try new foods for a change. If you go for pizza or cheeseburger every day, try the eggplant parmesan, tofu stir fry or garden burger today.
- Enjoy dessert sometimes, share dessert with a friend when you want, or forego dessert other times. Learn to listen to your body’s needs. Honor your health!
- Take home leftovers.