A person's body image includes...
- How we perceive our bodies visually
- How we feel about our physical appearance
- How we think and talk to ourselves about our bodies
- Our sense of how other people view our bodies
- Our sense of our bodies in physical space (kinesthetic perception)
- Our level of connectedness to our bodies
Messages Regarding Body Image
Come from a variety of sources & can be positive, negative or somewhere in between!
- Body image dissatisfaction is highly linked to the development and maintenance of eating disorders
- People with negative body image are more likely to suffer from feelings of depression, isolation, low self-esteem, & obsessions with weight loss
- We all may have our days when we feel awkward or uncomfortable in our bodies, but the key to developing positive body image is to recognize and respect our natural shape and learn to overpower those negative thoughts and feelings with positive, affirming, and accepting ones
Adapted From: http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/what-body-image
Image Source: http://www.beautyredefined.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Note-Cards.jpg & http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/article/1317098/dove-launches-body-co...