There is no safe tobacco product. All tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, carry a risk. Nicotine is highly addictive and can harm brain development, which continues through a person's 20s.
In the U.S., tobacco use results in 5.4 million years of potential life lost each year.
The CDC currently recommends to avoid vaping any substances. Additionally, do NOT purchase vaping products off the streets as formulations may have been altered.
People who stop smoking greatly reduce their risk for disease and early death. The health benefits are greater for people who stop at earlier ages, but there are benefits at any age. You are never too old to quit.
Interested in quitting? Follow these steps:
Set A Quit Date
✅ Make sure it’s realistic. Give yourself time to prepare. You must be physically and mentally ready. Set yourself up for success by establishing a goal and determining WHY quitting is important to you.
Learn Your Triggers/Resist Temptations
✅ This may consist of feelings, people, situations, etc. that tempt you to vape. Attempt to avoid until temptations have disappeared. This may include modifying your normal routine. If avoiding is not an option, prepare for handling triggers. Prepare for cravings and withdrawal.
Make The Mental Shift
✅ Think positive. Imagine your future healthy life without vaping. Make a list of all the benefits you will receive from quitting. It may take time to get used to your new life-style, but will soon become your new normal.
Surround Yourself With Supportive People
- Tell your friends and family. They are on your side!
- Make an appointment at Campus Health with one of our providers. You can discuss the possibility of medication or over the counter nicotine replacement products to assist with smoking cessation.
- Work with a CAPS provider to discuss the best plan for your specific situation and mental health needs.
- Call QuitlineNC – telephone service is 24/7 at 1-800-QUIT-NOW or register online
- Access the QuitlineNC WebCoach available 24 hours a day online
- Text DITCHJUUL to 88709 to get support from Truth Initiative experts. This program has helped 800,000 people quit their vaping habits.
Details from this article were collected from the CDC website.