You may have heard it before but we will say it again -- getting regular physical activity is a critical part of staying healthy. Moving your body every day helps stave off physical ailments and support your mental well-being.
If the activity is fun for you, then you are more likely to stay motivated. Try thinking outside the box; physical activity is more than just running or biking.
Activities you can do on campus or near UNC:
- Dance- check out various dance related student orgs, local contra dancing, and more
- Bike- join a ride with the Tarwheels, borrow a ride from Tar Heel Bikes, or attend one of many cycling classes with Campus Rec
- Canoe, Stand Up Paddleboard, or Kayak- Campus Rec offers expeditions, or get yourself to Jordan Lake or Saxapahaw to rent a vessel or a guided trip
- Garden- if you need a garden, look into the Carolina Campus Community Garden or search for a garden in your neighborhood
- Play a sport - play an intramural, join a club sport, or play pickup (Cobb Court, Woolen Gym for basketball, Hooker Fields for ultimate frisbee)
- Use your body as transportation - walk, bike or wheel yourself to and around campus
- Be active in the water - visit the UNC pools, the Town of Chapel Hill acquatics program, or another facility near you
- Take a group fitness class - Sweat it out with cardio, stretch it with yoga and pilates, or build strength - all at no cost from Campus Rec
- Hike - check out Healthy Heel's top 22 spots to get outside or enjoy the many offerings of Carolina Adventures and the Outdoor Education Center
- Jump rope - get yourself a rope and jump over it!
- Martial arts - UNC has student orgs for all sorts of martial arts. Local studios also exist.
- Walk, jog or run - we recommend doing these with a friend or a group to socialize while you get fit.