Sexual Assault Response

Printer-friendly version

If you are dealing with an immediate life-threatening emergency:
  • Call 911
  • Call Campus Police 962-8100
  • Proceed to UNC Emergency Department

To review your options for care, call 919-966-3650 or come directly to the Women’s Health Clinic located on the third floor of Campus Health Services (CHS) as soon as possible after a sexual assault. The Women's Health Clinic provides services for individuals of all gender identities.

Why should I seek medical care?

After a physical or sexual assault, some medical concerns may not immediately be apparent, such as internal injuries, sexually transmitted infections (STIs), or pregnancy.

Consider obtaining an exam to protect yourself; emergency contraception can help prevent pregnancy and antibiotics can help with infections.

What sexual assault services are offered at Campus Health?

Campus Health offers a variety of options for services for sexual assault survivors. For more information, see the document listed in the right sidebar. To learn more about survivor services throughout campus, please see

CHS has Nurse Practioners trained as Forensic Nurse Examiners (FNE) on staff. These providers are specially trained to:

  • Offer a discussion of options of medical care and reporting
  • Collect evidence with a sexual assault evidence collection kit
  • Prescribe medications for prevention of infections and pregnancy
  • Coordinate services within Campus Health Services and/or the community and state.

Campus Health Services also offers Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) providers who can provide confidential emotional support to survivors of sexual assault.

Who can use the sexual assault services offered at Campus Health?

Any student who is eligible for health care services at Campus Health may be seen for sexual assault services. For those who are not eligible for CHS care, we encourage you to contact the Orange Country Rape Crisis Center for options and support.

When are CHS Forensic Nurse Examiners available?

The Forensic Nurse Examiners (FNE) are available at Campus Health Services Monday through Friday 8a-5p.

What do I do when CHS is closed or the CHS Forensic Nurse Examiner is not available?

You may do the following:

  • Call CHS 919-966-2281 and speak directly with a health advice nurse
  • Go directly to UNC Hospitals Emergency Department where specially trained nurses are available to give immediate care. Survivors are then referred back to CHS for follow-up with one of the CHS Women’s Health FNEs.

How are these services paid for?

Through the Student Government Survivors Assistance Fund and the Student Emergency Fund, monies are available to help off-set medical expenses incurred by survivors of a sexual assault. These funds are available to survivors who are eligible for health care services at CHS. This fund covers medical procedures/treatments, medication prescribed (including 30 day HIV post exposure prophylaxis medication for up to five UNC student survivors of sexual assault), and specialty services if indicated.