All students begin their work with CAPS through an initial assessment. These brief consultations occur without an appointment for students seeking counseling or psychological services for the first time at UNC - Chapel Hill. For Walk-In Services, please visit us anytime between 9:00 am - 12:00 pm or 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm Monday-Thursday and 9:30 am - 12:00 pm or 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm on Fridays.
During a walk-in assessment, students complete paperwork on a tablet and meet with one of our mental health professionals to discuss concerns they may have around managing academic and personal demands and to create a plan to help each student reach their goals.
This plan could include:
• Individual Therapy (within or outside of CAPS)
• Couples Therapy (within or outside of CAPS)
• Group Therapy (within or outside CAPS)
• Psychiatric Medication Evaluation or Medication Management
• Academic Intervention
• Referral Coordination to help connect to a provider(s) in the community
All services at CAPS are confidential. We strive to help distressed students balance themselves again so they can thrive at UNC – Chapel Hill and beyond!
Visit the Initial CAPS Assessment FAQs for more information.