Increased numbers of students with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea cases are being seen at Campus Health Services. Campus Health Services is working very closely with the Orange County Health Department to help monitor the situation. For more information about gastroenteritis: https://campushealth.unc.edu/health-topics/medical-conditions/gastroenteritis-nausea-vomiting-diarrhea
Protect yourself and lessen the chances of getting sick by:
- Washing your hands frequently with soap and warm running water for at least 20 seconds, especially after using the toilet and before eating or preparing food.
- Alcohol-based sanitizers may not always be effective.
If you are sick or are around others who are sick:
- Do not go to work or school and stay at home.
- Wash and rinse fruits and vegetables carefully before consuming them.
- If you are sick, do not prepare food or care for others.
- Thoroughly clean and disinfect contaminated surfaces immediately after an episode of illness. First spray the area with a bleach-based disinfectant or diluted household bleach; then clean with the disinfectant wearing disposable gloves. Diluted bleach should be mixed with 1:10 water and mixed daily.
- Cleanup waste should be placed in a plastic bag, which should be tied and placed in the trash receptacle.
- Immediately remove and wash clothing or linens in hot water and detergent. They may be contaminated after an episode of illness.
- Flush or discard any vomitus and/or stool in the toilet and make sure that the surrounding area is kept clean and disinfected.
- If you are ill, prevent dehydration by frequently sipping a non-alcoholic beverage.
Students with questions should contact Campus Health Services at (919) 966-6573 to speak directly with a registered nurse.
Image credits: The Noun Project