Meet your 2016 - 2017 Campus Health Advisory Board members.
The Campus Health Advisory Board includes (front row L to R): Emily Morton, Madeline Ray, Marketa Burnett, Kristie Stovash and (back row L to R): Srividya Kalyanaraman, Alli Schad, Aditya Shah, Laura Raffield, Marie Lina Excellent. Not pictured: Alexis Amato. These students and post-docs attend regular meetings at Campus Health to provide insight from a student and post-doc perspective on CHS services and programs. Please contact any of these folks with ideas for Campus Health.
- Senior, Chemistry major.
- Activities: Student Safety and Wellness Policy Chair for Student Government, a Senior Marshall and Admissions Ambassador
- Health and medical interests: The intersection of health and corporate finance - ideally for a job someday in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industries. Reducing stigma associated with mental health and mental illness.
- Why CHAB? "Campus Health Services plays an integral part in providing wellness for students. By being part of this board, I have the opportunity to ensure that all students are receiving the health attention they need while at Carolina, as well as analyze future improvements for Campus Health Services."
- Contact: email@example.com
- Junior Human Development and Family Studies major.
- Activities: Co-president and co-founder of Adoption Education, Buckley Public Service Scholar, Campus Crusades for Christ
- Health and medical interests: Child life, neurology and rehabilitation services
- Why CHAB? "To advocate for students with invisible disabilities by applying my personal experiences as a student with a life-threatening condition and deficits from surviving six hemorrhagic strokes."
- Contact: Mbr1995@live.unc.edu
- Sophomore, Health Policy and Management and Psychology double major
- Health and medical Interests: Public Health, Health Behavior, Mental Health
- Why CHAB?: I am very interested in health care and the impact that it has on UNC student's lives. It's important to have student voices on the Campus Health Services Advisory Board to make sure that the all the needs of the student population are being heard and served."
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Third year graduate student in Biostatistics.
- Activities: Graduate Student Professional Senate, First-Generation Advisory Board, Eco-Rep, Safe Zone facilitator
- Health and medical interests: mental health, mindfulness meditation, neuroscience, public health information, psychoepidemiology and health disparities.
- Why CHAB? "If Campus Health had a number one fan, I would be it. I have availed myself of a variety of its services during my time at UNC, and know what a wonderful ecosystem CHS is. People are caring and wonderful, and are always looking to adapt and expand. My goal for being on CHAB is to bring the light the needs of the graduate and professional student community and help facilitate access for those students. I'd ultimately love to turn all grad and professional students into Campus Health fans, just like myself!"
- Contact: email@example.com
- Graduate student in the School of Social Work
- Activities: Carolina Grad Student F1RSTS Advisory Board, LGBTQ School of Social Work Student Caucus, and the LGBT Health Working Group
- Health and medical interests: LGBTQ health, minority health, women's health, disability rights, caring for survivors of sexual assault and intimate partner violence, substance abuse treatment, integrated care, emotional health and primary care
- Why CHAB? "I am committed to improving the health outcomes of LGBTQ individuals and minority students - and ensuring that all students have access to the best physical and mental health care possible during their time at Carolina."
- Contact: Allison_Schad@med.unc.edu
- Senior Health Policy and Management Major
- Activities: Student Government, the Senior Marshalls and Relay for Life
- Health and medical interests: Healthcare consulting, medicine and life sciences.
- Why CHAB? "To serve as a campus representative that brings undergraduate concerns and thoughts to the board."
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Postdoctoral fellow in Genetics
- Why CHAB? "To represent the unique needs of the postdoc population related to health insurance and Campus Health Services."
- Contact: email@example.com
Marie Lina Excellent, MD, MPH
- Post doctoral research associate in Public Health Leadership Program
- Activities: Smithies Nobel Symposium Planning Committee, Postdoctoral Association Leadership Group
- Health and medical interests: quality primary healthcare for all and healthier lifestyles.
- Why CHAB? "I aim to use both my medical and public health background to assist CHAB in its endeavors of identifying postdocs health insurance needs to provide the best package of benefits possible from a health equity's perspective."
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senior, Health Policy and Management Major
- Activities: Women's rowing team, Alpha Epsilon Delta Honors Society, BSPH Student Board and the Richard A. Baddour Carolina Leadership Academy
- Health and medical interests: Quality and process improvement and healthcare consulting
- Why CHAB? "I'm very interested in health care and its impact on people's lives. I think having student voices on CHAB is vital to make sure the needs of the population being served are being met in the best possible way."
- Contact: email@example.com