After 12 hours of not eating your body deserves a break! Physiologically and psychologically it is better to space your food throughout the day. Get your body's metabolism going by eating a good breakfast each day within an hour of waking up!
Many of us don't want to take the time to eat breakfast. A good breakfast does not have to be time consuming - and you don't need to eat just "breakfast foods."
For a Nutritious Breakfast Include:
1. Fruits and Vegetables: Choose ones rich in Vitamin C such as oranges, lemons, grapefruits, cantaloupe, or tomato.
2. Fiber: Include a good source of fiber (at least 3 grams fiber per serving) such as whole grain breads or muffins, whole grain cereals (bran, oatmeal, unsweetened granola, shredded wheat), brown rice, fruits and vegetables.
3. Protein: Include a good source of protein such as milk, soy milk, cheese, yogurt, meat, veggie meat substitutes, fish, poultry, beans, or eggs.
In a hurry? Try one of these simple "grab & go" ideas:
- Peanut butter sandwich and milk
- Whole grain bagel with cream cheese
- Egg sandwich
- Hard boiled egg and piece of fruit
- Fruit and yogurt
- Banana and peanut butter on toast with milk
- Cheese crackers made without hydrogenated fats and calcium fortified fruit juice
- Cottage cheese and fruit
- Blended drinks in a thermos – milk or yogurt with bananas, berries, or oranges
- Dried fruit, seeds, and nuts
- Instant breakfast drinks or nutrition bars with less than 10 grams of sugar per serving