International Travel Clinic
Campus Health Services offers an
International Travel Clinic for those UNC community members eligible for
CHS services who will be traveling abroad.
The Travel Clinic offers education
and guidance about maintaining your health while traveling. Topics covered
include information specific to you and your destination such as:
- Drinking water
- Insect-borne disease
- Driving conditions
- Personal security
- Recommended and required immunizations
PLAN AHEAD! Remember to review the CDC website for your travel plans.
Travel clinics are offered during the Summer on:
5/20/14 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM
6/05/14 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM
6/18/14 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM
7/16/14 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM
If your schedule does not match
these days/times but you still need to receive your travel information and
vaccinations, follow the steps below and speak with the schedulers about your
limitations at these times.
If you're interested in attending an
upcoming travel clinic, please follow these steps:
- Download the Travel Questionnaire (listed in documents in forms on the right), complete and sign.
List immunizations you have received and the dates received. Deadline for travel questionnaire submission is 12:00 PM on the Friday prior to scheduled Travel Clinic appointment.
- Visit the Centers for Disease Control
(CDC) to review the topics listed in Section 7 of the Travel Questionnaire and to learn more about medications, safe travel tips, and immunizations.
- Return the completed Travel Questionnaire using one of the following methods:
- Bring it with your medical and prescription insurance card(s) to Nursing Services at CHS
- Email the questionnaire (and, if possible, an image of the front and back of your insurance card) to email@example.com
- Fax the questionnaire along with a copy of the front
and back of your medical and prescription insurance card(s) to 919-843-6910.
2: Schedule Your Travel Clinic
- Call 919-966-6573 between 8:00am – 4:30pm Monday –
Friday to reserve your place in a Travel Clinic.
- We need to have received your Travel Questionnaire (see right sidebar)
at Nursing Services at CHS to make your appointment. Please note that in
times of high demand (typically the last few clinics in spring semester),
it may take up to 2 weeks to schedule into a travel clinic after
submitting your travel questionnaire.
- If you have a chronic condition, schedule a separate preventive appointment with a CHS medical provider to update care in addition to attending the Group International Travel Clinic class.
- Cost for the class: $60.00 Note - there is a no show fee of $25.00 ifyou fail to
keep your Travel Clinic appointment unless you cancel or reschedule 24
hours in advance. There are additional charges
for the immunizations and medications. If you have been through the travel clinic
before and are traveling to a different destination, the cost for the nurse
consultation is $30.00.
On-site Travel Clinic Consultation: On-site consultations can be arranged for Campus Health to
come to your school or department to provide the classroom portion of the
travel clinic for 10 or more people. Call 919-966-6573 to arrange this
consultation. We need at least 3 weeks to prepare for your group prior to the
class. Travelers must submit individual questionnaires. Special billing directly to schools or departments can be arranged for
traveling faculty and advisors.
- Schedule a Travel Clinic appointment as soon as you
know your plans, ideally several months ahead of time.
- Immunizations are given at the end of the travel
appointment, so allow at least 2 hours for the Travel Clinic class and
- Fill your prescriptions shortly after your Travel
Clinic appointment. Prescriptions may be filled at the Campus Health
Services Pharmacy located in the basement of the CHS building.
- After your trip: Seek medical care if you are ill after
returning from your trip, especially if you have a fever. Be
sure to tell your medical provider where and when you have traveled.
- For travel to a country with risk of malaria, continue
your malaria preventive medication for the specified time following your return.
Images graciously provided by the
Office of Study Abroad. Bridge image by Steven Howell, Tunnel image by Emily