International Student Insurance Requirements

Printer-friendly version

International students who have J or F immigration status are required by The University of North Carolina System to carry health insurance as a condition of enrollment at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.  In addition, as part of the United States Department of State J Exchange-Visitor visa regulations, all J-1 Exchange Visitors are required by government regulations to carry health insurance for themselves and their J-2 dependents throughout the duration of their academic program. 

File 621

Any J-1 exchange-visitor who willfully fails to maintain the insurance coverage, or makes a material misrepresentation to The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill concerning such coverage, will be in violation of his/her immigration status and subject to termination as a J-1. 

Any policy, plan, or contract secured to fill the health insurance requirements must, at a minimum, be:

  1. Underwritten by an insurance corporation having an A.M. Best rating of “A-” or above, an Insurance Solvency International, Ltd. (ISI) rating of “A-i” or above, a Standard & Poor’s Claims-paying ability rating of “A-“ or above, or a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of “B+” or above; or
  2. Backed by the full faith and credit of the government of an exchange visitor’s home country; or
  3. Part of a health benefits program offered on a group basis to employees or enrolled students by a designated sponsor; or
  4. Offered through or underwritten by a federally qualified Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) or eligible Competitive Medical Plan (CMP) as determined by the Health Care Financing Administration (HCFA) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

Minimum Health Insurance Plan Requirements for J or F Immigration Status 

  1. The health insurance plan must have a minimum medical benefit of $50,000 coverage for each specific illness or injury.
  2. The plan must have a deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.
  3. The plan must provide at least $7,500 in benefits for repatriation of remains to the home country in case of death.
  4. The plan must pay up to $10,000 for medical evacuation to the home country.
  5. The plan must provide coverage of activities inherent to the Exchange Visitor’s program.
NOTE: Campus Health Services is unable to file claims with an international insurance company. We can provide the necessary paperwork for the student to file their own claims.

International Student Waive Procedures

  • International students using an international policy to waive will have to submit their policy, benefits, exclusions and coverage dates (in English), along with a Waiver Request Form to Student Blue Customer Service at  Student Blue will not approve any waivers without all of this information.
  • You may need the Waiver Request Form if you have not purchased an insurance plan and want to know if the one you are considering meets the international waive requirements, you can email a copy of the benefits and exclusions (in English) to
  • If international students are using a domestic insurance policy to waive (a policy administered by a company in the United States / with a United States address), they can go to and select WAIVER and fill in the online form.
  • The waiver process is not complete until you receive an approved waiver email from Student Blue. Students need an approved waiver each semester.  Please call Student Blue Customer Service at 1-888-351-8283 with any questions.

How to enroll in the UNC System Wide Student Blue Insurance Plan

  • Go to  Choose Enrollment, read the Mandatory insurance requirements and proceed to mandatory enroll/waive and register with your PID and Date of Birth. Complete the online form. Students who want to participate in the UNC System Student Blue Health Insurance Plan need to enroll each semester to activate the insurance. The Student Health Insurance Fee will be on your Univeristy student account.